Vertex schmertex (vertex form quadratics)

My Algebra 2 students needed more practice with graphing and writing the equations of quadratics in vertex form so I made this set of task cards. You can download them free from this link.

We started graphing and writing equations for vertex form quadratics in my Algebra 2 classes this week. Well, half my students did - the other half were re-taking the state exit exam. Don't get me started...

Because half of my students missed most of the introduction to the unit, I needed a basic activity that would allow some students to work independently while I worked more one-on-one with the others who had been out.

quadratic task cards in vertex form free activity
Vertex form quadratics task cards

So I made 12 task cards that ask students to graph and write equations of vertex form quadratics. Every task card has an additional question on it like "find the zeros" or "find the y-intercept" to keep skills up. 

Graphing quadratics in vertex form cheat sheet

I had given this reference sheet to my students to help them remember the steps for graphing vertex form quadratics. They keep the sheet in their notebooks (it's a 1/2 sheet) to use during class.


And here is a video that goes along with the sheet.

factored form quadratic reference -- part of an Algebra 2 word wall
Part of an Algebra 2 word wall

On our classroom walls are lots of word wall references. We use our vertex form example posters (part of our Algebra 2 word wall) probably the most of any other reference. Above are the parts of our reference for radicals, which come up later.


You can find the graphing quadratics cheat sheet here


And the free set of quadratics task cards here.


Subscribe to blog for more math freebies 
(check your email afterwards for your first one:)





I teach:



Scaffolded Math and Science blog

3 comments:

  1. Do your students use the reference sheet while taking tests?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I let my students use all their references and our math word walls during assessments. That being said, I give a lot of informal assessments instead of tests (task cards, matching activities, scavenger hunts, etc.) and my room is not used for our state exam.

      Delete
  2. Do you have an answer key to this that you can share?

    ReplyDelete

Comment